We had another appt on March 1st at 25 weeks. It was a pretty basic appointment, just the regular weigh in, HB check with the doppler, etc. Heartbeat was 151bpm, I believe. Oh, and I also did the 1 hour glucose screen. I had prepared myself for the absolute worst tasting drink ever, but to be honest, it wasn't that bad. They let me choose the lemon lime flavor too, so it kind of tasted like a flat Sprite or 7 up.
Well....come Monday, I got the bad news. I failed the glucose screen and was to come back in on Friday for the 3 hour screen. From what I have read, a good number of people fail the 1 hour screen, and even more women with PCOS fail the glucose screen. I think it has to do with the fact that our bodies process foods at a slower pace, or something.
Fast forward to Friday. Three-hour glucose test = NIGHTMARE. I had to fast the night before, so I had not had anything to eat since about 9pm on Thursday, and nothing to drink since 10pm. Once I arrived, the nurse did not give me a drink option, so this hungry, dehydrated mama had to chug down a nasty orange flavored drink. (I do not like orange flavored drinks in the first place). The first hour of waiting was tolerable, but then my headache kicked in, and I was thirsty, and the waiting room was really hot! The tip of the iceburg was the fact that one other woman was doing her glucose screen the same day. And (of course), she brought a friend to keep her company, and (of course) they chose to talk and laugh the entire 3.5 hours, and (of course) they did NOT have "inside voices." By hour 2 of malnourishment, dehydration, nausea, sweating and headaches, it was everything I could do not to run over there and slap them. Oh and then I had to wait an extra hour for Craig to pick me up, because my car was in the shop.
Needless to say, he was met with one emotionally distraught wife, when he didn't think to bring me a drink with my lunch! Melt.down.
This whiny, bitter story ends well to say that I passed the 3 hour screen. Me and my Double Stuff Oreos could not be happier! :)

ugh that sounds terrible!! So glad you passed, though. I do my one hour test next week, I think (my dr does them later than I see a lot of other people do them...).
ReplyDelete